Display a message when no results in catalog
When a search gives in catalog gives no results, there's no message.
At least "No results" (aucun résultat) should be added.
But as CATALOG is one of the core components we should polish this part...
We propose to add a way to customize the "no results page". It should be catalog dependent (as some catalog have different features).
We can imagine different ways to achieve it:
- Have an HTML editable field in catalog object for the "no result message" (but we loose support for multilingual, and a translatable field is not appropriate)
- Other ideas ?
#4 Updated by Blatti Yves over 4 years ago
After TC discussion and some investigations, here are some implementation proposals :1) XSL :
- easySDI already needs XSL for results and is considered a complex task in the easySDI installation process, we won't add complexity.
- we don't have data (XML) to pass to processor, so it would be just HTML
- rejected solution : is not an interesting way to achieve this
- field size is between 255 and 500 chars long, we can't store big content in it
- rejected solution : not possible due to limitations
- Pros :
- This offers the ability to have a full custom content with Joomla article (com_content)
- com_content is available on all joomla installs
- Keeps the multilingual capabilities (with two languages, we would have to set 2 different articles IDs, one in each language)
- Light to implement, easy to understand if clearly documented (tooltips etc...)
- Can be optional:
- With a default string in Joomla translations ('no result found')
- If no article id is specified for user language on the catalog, display the default string
- Cons :
- When porting easySDI v2 -> v4 we have chosen to avoid this kind of mechanisms previously used in v2
- Pros :
- By default use a string in translations files ('no result found')
- If a plugin (new plugin type) is found, do not display default string, and load plugin content
- No plugin would be delivered with easySDI, but catalog would trigger the event
- Cons :
- If someone want to extend the default 'no results' behavior, it becomes to code a plugin, which is not convenient for integrators
- In multilingual environment, the
My point after looking at those solutions:
Solution 3 proposed by Thomas and Hélène seems to be the .
But are we OK with this mechanism ? (Personally, I am)
Thanks to TC member for their replies.
#14 Updated by Blatti Yves about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Affected to Resolved
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
We can now use the "text2" field to specify an article or table content, values are:
- blank (default) : will use the new default string
- an integer : will load com_content article with the supplied ID
- a string composend of: "tableNameNonPrefixed:fieldName:anId" to load from another table. example : "k2_items:introtext:81" will load a K2 item content.
Revision : 8898